2013年10月20日 星期日

歐巴馬說母親節快樂--看電腦學英文



參考資料https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTxH4Px-lNY

I think it's important to recognize that moms come in a lot of different shapes and sizes. Well, you know, my mother was the single most important influence in my life. I saw her struggles as a single mom. She taught me the values of hard work and responsibility, but also compassion and empathy, being able to look at the world through somebody else's eyes and stand in their shoes. She was somebody who recognized that those of us who have some talents, or have been given opportunities that we gotta give something back. And I'll always be indebted to her for that.
我認為認知到母親們是形形色色的是很重要的。嗯,你知道,我媽是我生命中唯一最重要的影響。我看到她身為單親媽媽的難處。她教導我努力工作和負責任的價值,還有憐憫心和同理心,能夠透過其他人的雙眼觀察世界,並設身處地為他人著想。她是一個認知到「我們之中有天分的人,或是被賦予機會的人,必須回報」之道理的人。我將因此永遠受惠於她。

My grandmother, she was very different than my mother, much more sort of stoic and, you know, very much displayed her Kansas roots, but was a constant source of strength for all of us. Here's a woman who grew up in the depression, never had the opportunity to go to college, worked her way up as a secretary to become a Vice President of a bank. Frankly, if there hadn't been a glass ceiling, she probably could have taken over the bank.
我外婆,她跟我媽極為不同,更像是一個清心寡欲者,你知道,很明顯地展示出她的堪薩斯本質,但她對我們大家來說是個源源不絕的力量來源。這是個在蕭條時期長大的女人,從來沒有機會上大學,從當秘書開始一路力爭上游,成為一家銀行的副總。坦白說,如果沒有無形限制(這裡是指性別歧視)的話,她可能已經接管那銀行了。

Michelle's the best mom I know. She cares deeply about family.
Michelle是我所知最棒的媽媽。她極為關心家庭。

This is my wife Michelle. Hey! I'm his date.
這是我老婆Michelle。嘿!我是他的約會對象。

She combines the ability to make the kids feel completely loved with a real sense of being able to provide the kids with limits. She is pretty good at it. The proof is in those girls who are magical. And I'd like to say that I have something to do with it, but I think in fairness I've gotta give her most of the credit.
她結合了讓孩子感受到完全被愛的能力,和有著能夠為孩子設限的真正判斷力。她很擅長那些。證據就在那些迷人的女孩們身上。而我想要說那跟我也有點關係,但是我想公平來說我必須大部分歸功於她。

I've said not to let you go. Okay.
我說過不讓妳離開了。好啊。

That model of strong responsible women but also incredibly loving women has been a great gift for my girls, because they can see every day the contributions that women are making in their own family, and I think that gives them enormous amount of confidence as they go forward.
那樣承擔重大責任而且同樣難以置信的可愛女人,她們的典範是我女兒們的絕佳禮物,因為她們可以每天看到女人在她們自己家中所做出的貢獻,而且我認為當她們前進成長時,會給她們巨大無比的信心。

The issues that mothers face, those are issues that matter to all of us. So families count on women having equal opportunity. That's the reason why something like the Affordable Care Act was so important, because a lot of times women are paying more for their Healthcare. That's why I signed the Lilly Ledbetter Act to make sure that people got an equal day's pay for an equal day's work. Because when we do that, that's not just good for women. That's good for our country. That's good for families everywhere.
母親們面對的問題,那些是事關我們所有人的問題。所以家庭指望女人們有平等的機會。那就是為什麼像平價醫療法案(註一)這樣的東西是那麼重要,因為很多時候女人為了醫療保健支出更多。那就是為何我簽署Lilly Ledbetter法案(註二)來確保人們為同樣一天的工作能得到同樣一天的薪水。因為當我們那樣做的時候,那不只是對女人好。那對我們國家好。那對任何地方的家庭好。

Happy Mother's Day to every single mother out there!
母親節快樂,謹獻給外面的每一個母親!

註一:Affordable Care Act全名為 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act(PPACA),又稱之為Obamacare,是歐巴馬在2010年所修訂的法例。
註二:Lilly Ledbetter Act全名為 Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act,是歐巴馬在2009年所修訂的法例。


沒有留言:

張貼留言